Product › Details
Sevin® brand insecticide
|Next higher product group||carbaryl|
|Status||2011-01-11 sales existent|
|Organisation||Bayer CropScience (Group)|
Bayer AG. (1/11/11). "Press Release: Bayer CropScience to Reduce Operations in Institute, West Virginia, and Close Woodbine, Georgia, Site". Monheim.
Bayer CropScience announced today it is closing certain manufacturing facilities dedicated to carbamate chemistries in Institute, West Virginia, and is shutting down its Woodbine, Georgia, formulation facility. As a result of these changes at both sites, there will be a total reduction of approximately 300 positions within two years.
"The decision was based on a number of factors, with both strategic and economic considerations. It is fully in line with our global strategy to focus on delivering innovative solutions to modern agriculture and replacing older compounds in our portfolio, including WHO Class I products", said Achim Noack, Member of the Board of Management of Bayer CropScience.
In recent years, the carbamate family has been largely substituted by newer products, prompting a review of the company's carbamates business strategy. Following the August 2010 agreement with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to phase out Temik® brand insecticide/nematicide, the production of certain carbamates is no longer economically viable for Bayer CropScience.
"Temik® has been the cornerstone of our carbamate manufacturing strategy," said Chris Evans, Senior Vice President of Industrial Operations in North America for Bayer CropScience. "The decisions to exit Temik® and to discontinue our Methomyl and Carbofuran production, made it impossible to maintain competitive operations at parts of our Institute site and at the formulation unit at Woodbine."
Products affected by this decision include Aldicarb (the active ingredient in Temik® brand insecticide/nematicide) and Carbaryl (the active ingredient in Sevin® brand insecticide), as well as certain intermediate materials associated with their production.
The respective production operations, including methyl isocyanate (MIC), will be phased out over the next 18 months, to allow for an orderly market exit and honor the company's commitment to growers.
Following a complete overhaul and technical modification of the MIC plant at Institute, the company intends to complete its planned startup of the unit over the next few weeks to ensure continued safe operations during the remaining production period. The unit will then be shut down and de-commissioned in mid 2012.
Bayer CropScience plans to continue supplying its customers with Temik® in the US and other markets worldwide until the end of 2014, after which sales of the compound will be ceased. The company intends to continue marketing Sevin® based on active ingredient supplies from alternate sources.
Larvin® brand Thiodicarb insecticide will continue to be produced at the Institute Industrial Park and Bayer CropScience will continue to provide services and support to other site tenants.
The closure of part of the Institute site and the shut-down of Woodbine will result in one-time-costs of approximately EUR 200 million (approximately $275 million), which are primarily accounted for by de-commissioning costs. The one-time-cost and workforce reduction are part of the global restructuring announcement by the Bayer Group, published on November 18, 2010.
"This decision was not an easy one," said Evans. "For many years, the Institute and Woodbine sites have provided good jobs within our communities and important products for agriculture. Although this change is necessary, we recognize the impact it will have on our employees and will act responsibly to support them during this transition."
Bayer CropScience will be working closely with the governmental and regulatory bodies involved in this process going forward.
About Bayer CropScience
Bayer is a global enterprise with core competencies in the fields of health care, nutrition and high-tech materials. Bayer CropScience AG, a subsidiary of Bayer AG with annual sales of about EUR 6.5 billion (2009), is one of the world's leading innovative cropscience companies in the areas of crop protection, non-agricultural pest control, seeds and traits. The company offers an outstanding range of products and extensive service backup for modern, sustainable agriculture and for non-agricultural applications. Bayer CropScience has a global workforce of 18,700 and is represented in more than 120 countries. This and further news is available at: www.press.bayercropscience.com.
Find more information at www.bayercropscience.com.
This release may contain forward-looking statements based on current assumptions and forecasts made by Bayer Group or subgroup management. Various known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors could lead to material differences between the actual future results, financial situation, development or performance of the company and the estimates given here. These factors include those discussed in Bayer's public reports which are available on the Bayer website at www.bayer.com. The company assumes no liability whatsoever to update these forward-looking statements or to conform them to future events or developments.
Record changed: 2011-11-25
More documents for insecticide
-  Bayer AG. (2/16/12). "Press Release: Bayer Acquires Animal Health Business from KMG Chemicals. Acquisition Will Strengthen Bayer HealthCare’s Animal Health Insecticides Business". Leverkusen & Houston, TX....
-  Bayer. (7/8/08). "Press Release: Tembotrione from Bayer CropScience Approved in Brazil. Launch of Soberan® Planned for 2008". Monheim....
-  Bayer CropScience. (7/3/08). "Press Release: Insecticide Movento® Approved in United States and Canada". Monheim....
-  Syngenta. (2/19/08). "Press Release: Syngenta, DuPont Sign Agreement for Access to Broad Insect Control Technology in Corn". Basel & Wilmington, DE....
-  Bayer CropScience. (9/4/07). "Press Release: New Insecticidal Active Ingredient Flubendiamide Granted Regularory Approval in major Asian Markets". Monheim....
-  Bayer. (7/27/07). "Press Release: Bayer CropScience Successfully Defended Imidacloprid Patent". Monheim....
-  Bayer AG. (3/28/07). "Press Release: Bayer CropScience Aims to Grow in China. Sales in the People’s Republic Forecast to Top EUR 100 Million in the Medium Term – Plans for Two Joint Ventures for Hybrid Rice Business and Expansion of Crop Protection Produ...
-  Bayer AG. (11/11/02). "Press Release: Bayer Sells Household Insecticides for EURO 725 Million to SC Johnson". Leverkusen....
-  Bayer AG. (10/16/02). "Press Release: Bayer and SC Johnson Have Signed Letter of Intent". Leverkusen....
-  Chemie Wirtschaftsförderungs-Gesellschaft mbH (Hg.). (2002). Sachkundenachweis. Lernprogramm für den Nachweis der erforderlichen Kenntnisse für die Abgabe von Pflanzenschutzmitteln im Einzel- und Vesandhandel (6., aktual. u. überarb. Aufl.). Frankfurt a....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)