Document › Details
Ventana Medical Systems, Inc.. (1/17/12). "Press Release: Ventana to Collaborate with Bayer on Companion Diagnostic Test for New Biological Cancer Therapy". Tuscon, AZ.
Stratifying patients for the appropriate, targeted therapy may prove to be a significant step towards personalized medicine in cancer treatment
Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. (Ventana), a member of the Roche Group, today announced that it has entered into a strategic collaboration agreement with Bayer Pharma AG (Bayer) to develop a molecular companion diagnostic test intended to identify patients most likely to benefit from a novel Bayer antibody-drug conjugate (ADC). Ventana's diagnostic immunohistochemistry platform aims to analyze the expression level of certain tumor targets serving as biomarkers in clinical studies for patient selection. This will support the development of novel products in the field of oncology therapy and underscores Roche's commitment to personalized healthcare. This news comes on the heels of two separate companion diagnostic strategic collaborative agreements Ventana recently announced with Pfizer, Inc. and Syndax Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Under the terms of the Bayer agreement, Ventana will initially develop, manufacture and commercialize a companion diagnostic test for one of Bayer's ADCs. Over a period of five years, both parties may initiate further development projects to develop molecular diagnostic tests in support of additional targeted cancer therapy drugs. Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
"At Ventana our mission is to improve the lives of all patients afflicted with cancer," said Mara G. Aspinall, President of Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. "We are pleased to be Bayer's partner of choice to facilitate the worldwide development of this ADC. As new biomarkers and diagnostic tests become increasingly available, they provide valuable information about potential positive recipients for these novel agents. Translating excellence in science into effective, targeted treatments for patients is at the core of Roche's scientific vision for "Personalised Healthcare" (PHC), and it is our highest priority now and into the future."
"We are very excited to partner with Ventana to develop a companion diagnostic for one of our ADC projects," said Prof. Dr. Andreas Busch, Head of Global Drug Discovery and Member of the Executive Committee of Bayer HealthCare. "This constitutes another step for Bayer towards personalized medicine in cancer treatment as the selection of patients most likely to benefit from an ADC will increase the overall probability of therapeutic success for patients suffering from cancer."
About Antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs)
Antibody conjugation to potent cytotoxic drugs is a promising way to increase efficacy and reduce systemic toxicity of drugs by targeting them selectively to tumor tissue. The antibody-drug conjugates (ADCs) are comprised of three distinctive features: an antibody, a cytotoxic drug (toxophore) and a linker, which give ADCs their characteristic properties. The monoclonal antibody is able to recognize surface proteins selectively over-expressed on cancer cells. This targeting ability allows the ADCs to deliver its cytotoxic payload, the toxophore, right into the tumor. Here, after internalization and release, the toxophore interferes with intracellular processes leading to the programmed death of the tumor cells. The linkers are designed to keep the toxic agent attached to the antibody until the target cancer cell is reached. The targeted nature of ADCs to specific tumor surface proteins or antigens make them good candidates for co-development with the VENTANA immunohistochemistry-based companion diagnostic assays that measure those antigens.
About Ventana Medical Systems, Inc.
Ventana Medical Systems, Inc. ("VMSI") (SIX: RO, ROG; OTCQX: RHHBY), a member of the Roche Group, innovates and manufactures instruments and reagents that automate tissue processing and slide staining for cancer diagnostics. VENTANA solutions are used in clinical histology and drug development research laboratories worldwide. The company's intuitive, integrated staining, workflow management platforms, and digital pathology solutions optimize laboratory efficiencies to reduce errors, support diagnosis and inform treatment decisions for anatomic pathology professionals. Together with Roche, VMSI is driving personalized medicine through accelerated drug discovery and the development of "companion diagnostics" to identify the patients most likely to respond favorably to specific therapies. Visit www.ventana.com to learn more.
VENTANA and the VENTANA logo are trademarks of Roche.
VMSI Media Relations
Director, Corporate Communications
Record changed: 2014-02-23
More documents for Roche (Group)
-  Roche. (2/28/14). "Press Release: Roche and Discuva Join Forces to Combat Life-threatening Infections Caused by Multi-drug Resistant Bacteria". Basel & Cambridge....
-  Roche. (2/21/14). "Press Release: Roche Signs Licensing Agreement with Sysmex Inostics GmbH for emPCR Patent Portfolio". Pleasanton, CA....
-  Cancer Genetics, Inc.. (2/10/14). "Press Release: Cancer Genetics, Inc. and Roche Announce Expanded, Exclusive International Agreement to Provide Molecular Diagnostic Cancer Testing". Rutherford, NJ....
-  F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG. (1/30/14). "Press Release: Roche Delivers Strong 2013 Results. Group Sales Rise 6% to 46.8 Billion Swiss Francs". Basel....
-  Prothena Corproation plc. (1/23/14). "Press Release: Prothena to Receive $30 Million Upfront Payment from Roche Triggered by the Expiration of Hart-Scott-Rodino Waiting Period". Dublin....
-  Sysmex Corporation. (1/21/14). "Press Release: Sysmex Reinforces Sales and Support Structure in Turkey. Establishes Local Subsidiary to Expand Business in Growing Market"....
-  AC Immune S.A.. (1/9/14). "Press Release: AC Immune Raises CHF 20 Million and Initiates World’s First anti-pTau Vaccine Trial for Alzheimer’s Disease". Lausanne....
-  Santaris Pharma A/S. (1/9/14). "Press Release: Santaris A/S Announces Worldwide Discovery Alliance for RNA-targeted Medicines with Roche". Hørsholm & San Diego, CA....
-  Prothena Corproation plc. (12/11/13). "Press Release: Roche and Prothena Enter into Worldwide Collaboration to Co-develop and Co-promote Antibodies for Treatment of Parkinson’s Disease". Basel & Dublin....
-  Roche. (12/4/13). "Press Release: Roche and Molecular Partners Enter into Alliance to Develop New Cancer Treatments. Partnership Will Combine Novel Biologics (DARPins) with Roche Drug-conjugate Technology". Basel & Zürich-Schlieren....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)