Document › Details
Probiodrug AG. (9/1/15). "Press Release: Probiodrug Licenses the TBA 2.1 Transgenic Alzheimer’s Disease Mouse Model to QPS Austria Neuropharmacology". Halle/Saale & Grambach.
|Organisation||Probiodrug AG (Euronext Amsterdam: PBD)|
|Organisation 2||QPS Austria GmbH|
|Person||Demuth, Hans-Ulrich (Probiodrug 1997 founder + CSO 2008)|
|Person 2||Glund, Konrad (Probiodrug 1997– Founder + CEO 2008)|
Probiodrug AG (Euronext Amsterdam: PBD), a biopharmaceutical company developing novel therapeutic solutions to treat Alzheimer’s disease (AD), has announced today an agreement to license the TBA2.1 tg Mouse to QPS Austria Neuropharmacology, a leading CRO for CNS drug development.
This mouse model has been developed, characterized and patented by Probiodrug (1,2). It has been used within the efforts to establish a new therapeutic concept of reducing brain pyroglutamate-modified Abeta (pGlu-Abeta) for the treatment of Alzheimer Disease. Licensing this model to QPS Austria Neuropharmacology makes it accessible to a wider community of academic and industry research groups.
Commenting on the announcement, Hans-Ulrich Demuth, co-founder and former CSO of Probiodrug, said: “Characterization and use of this model has been extremely useful for our understanding of the involvement of pGlu-Abeta in the initiation and progression of AD. This model is only one of a set of new AD-like models developed by Probiodrug to establish a comprehensive validation of pGlu-Abeta as a potential target to treat Alzheimer’s disease and to extensively profile potential drug candidates. I’m very pleased about the collaboration of Probiodrug with QPS to thereby offer our TBA2.1 mouse model to the wider AD and neurodegeneration research.”
Birgit Hutter-Paier, Director Neuropharmacology at QPS Austria added: “We are optimistic about this model being perfectly complementary to QPS’ current range of animal models for AD drug research. Transgenic animals are still among the most crucial tools to investigate drug candidates for the treatment of AD. The TBA2.1 mouse model will be a valuable addition to our portfolio of mouse models addressing the increasingly multifaceted APP pathology, which still has a prominent and highly relevant position in the field.”
As of today, Probiodrug has progressed two complementary strategies for tackling pGlu-Abeta with two medicine candidates in development: PQ912, a small molecule inhibitor of Glutaminyl Cyclase, now in phase 2, and PBD C06, a pGlu-Abeta-specific mAB in preclinical stage.
The TBA2.1 transgenic mouse model over-expresses pGlu-Abeta in neurons and is suitable to model neuronal loss and neurodegeneration, characteristics typical for disease progression. These mice represent the most rapid murine model of Abeta induced cognitive impairment, demonstrating the highly toxic nature of pGlu-Abeta.
1. Selective hippocampal neurodegeneration in transgenic mice expressing small amounts of truncated Aß is induced by pyroglutamate-Aß formation. Alexandru A, Jagla W, Graubner S, Becker A, Bäuscher C, Kohlmann S, Sedlmeier R, Raber KA, Cynis H, Rönicke R, Reymann KG, Petrasch-Parwez E, Hartlage-Rübsamen M, Waniek A, Rossner S, Schilling S, Osmand AP, Demuth HU, von Hörsten S. J Neurosci. 2011 Sep 7;31(36):12790-801. doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1794-11.2011
EP 2 195 336 B1
US 8,283,517 B2
For more information, please contact:
Dr Konrad Glund, CEO,
Mary Clark, Supriya Mathur, Alexia Faure
Tel: +44 203440 5653
Tel: +43 316 258111
Notes to Editors:
About Probiodrug AG
Headquartered in Halle, Germany, Probiodrug AG (Euronext Amsterdam: PBD) is a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of new therapeutic products for the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
Founded in 1997, the company successfully developed a novel therapeutic concept for diabetes – the DP4 inhibitors – which provided the basis for a novel class of antidiabetics – the gliptins. Its core capabilities are based on its long-standing expertise in the elucidation of the structure and function of enzymes involved in the modification of proteins and peptides, which play a central role in pathological conditions.
Today Probiodrug’s aim is to become a leading company in the development of Alzheimer’s disease treatments and to thereby provide a better life for Alzheimer’s disease patients. It has identified a new therapeutic concept linked to disease initiation and progression. The development approaches are targeting pyroglutamate-Abeta (pGlu-Abeta) as a therapeutic strategy to fight Alzheimer’s disease. The Company has medical use and composition of matter patents related to the inhibition of Glutaminyl Cyclase (QC) and anti-pGlu-Abeta- specific monoclonal antibodies, providing it, in the Company’s view, with a leading position in this field of research.
About QPS Austria
QPS Austria is a full-service contract research organization (CRO). The company performs preclinical as well as clinical research. The Neuropharmacology department focuses on drug development for neurodegenerative diseases. The profound expertise in neuroscience and more than a decade of experience in contract research result in a sustainable advantage for the customer. Validated transgenic & non-transgenic in vivo & in vitro models to address new as well as already established drug targets in neurodegenerative diseases are available.
The clinical research department offers clinical research services in all phases and indications. QPS’ clinical department is a small to medium-sized clinical CRO professionally addressing specific needs of the clients while being capable to translate expertise and experience into mono- and multicentric trials of different size due an impressive geographical coverage.
About Alzheimer’s disease
Alzheimer’s disease is a neurological disorder, which is the most common form of dementia, and ultimately leads to death. Because Alzheimer’s disease cannot be cured and is degenerative, the affected patients must increasingly rely on others for assistance. Today, 44 million people worldwide currently live with the condition and this number is expected to almost double by 2030 and to more than triple by 2050 to over 132 million. Alzheimer’s also has an estimated, global societal cost of over $600 billion (World Alzheimer Report 2014).
Forward Looking Statements
Information set forth in this press release contains forward-looking statements, which involve a number of risks and uncertainties. The forward-looking statements contained herein represent the judgment of Probiodrug AG and QPS Austria as of the date of this press release. Such forward-looking statements are neither promises nor guarantees, but are subject to a variety of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, and which could cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated in these forward-looking statements. We expressly disclaim any obligation or undertaking to release publicly any updates or revisions to any such statements to reflect any change in our expectations or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such statement is based.
Record changed: 2016-03-20
More documents for Probiodrug (Group)
-  Probiodrug AG. (12/8/16). "Press Release: Innovative Phase II Study Design of Glutaminylcyclase Inhibitor PQ912 in Early Alzheimer’s disease". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (11/16/16). "Press Release: Amyloid-beta (Abeta) Aggregate-clearing by the Murine Anti-pyroglutamate-3 Abeta IgG2a Monoclonal Antibody PBD-C06 with and without a complement mutation in an Alzheimer’s mouse model". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (11/10/16). "Press Release: Probiodrug Reports Third Quarter 2016 Business Update". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (10/27/16). "Press Release: Probiodrug to Present at European Life Sciences Conferences. Attendance at Key Conferences in November 2016". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (10/11/16). "Press Release: Probiodrug to Present at US and Japanese Life Science Conferences in October 2016". Halle (Saale)....
-  Reuters. (10/6/16). "News: Brief – Probiodrug. Pricing of a EUR 14.9 mln Accelerated Bookbuild Offering"....
-  Probiodrug AG. (10/6/16). "Press Release: Probiodrug Announces Pricing of a EUR 14.9 Million Accelerated Bookbuild Offering of New Shares [NOT FOR PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION IN OR INTO THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, JAPAN OR AUSTRALIA]". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (10/5/16). "Press Release: Probiodrug Launches Capital Increase by Means of an Accelerated Bookbuild Offering [NOT FOR PUBLICATION OR DISTRIBUTION IN OR INTO THE UNITED STATES, CANADA, JAPAN OR AUSTRALIA]". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (6/9/16). "Press Release: Two Key Patents on Glutaminyl Cyclase (QC) Inhibition for the Treatment of Alzheimer’s disease (AD) Granted in Japan". Halle (Saale)....
-  Probiodrug AG. (5/27/16). "Press Release: Probiodrug to Attend and Present at International Conferences in June 2016". Halle (Saale)....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)
Please visit also our web portals for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH) and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Germany.com (life sciences in German-speaking Europe) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)