Document › Details
Merck KGaA. (11/19/15). "Press Release: Merck and the University of Cape Town to Develop a Drug Discovery Platform for Malaria". Darmstadt.
|Group||Merck (DE) (Group)|
|Organisation 2||University of Cape Town, H3D Drug Discovery and Development Centre|
|Group||University of Cape Town|
|Product 2||anti-infective drug|
|Index term||Merck (DE)–Univ Cape Town: malaria drug, 201511– collab research with UCT H3D to develop anti-malarial drug candidates using Merck compound library|
> Private sector and academic center in Africa join forces in the fight against infectious diseases
> Research collaboration leverages competencies and expertise in alignment with Merck’s commitment to improve access to medicines for underserved populations
Merck, a leading science and technology company, today announced that a research agreement has been signed with the University of Cape Town (UCT) South Africa to co-develop a new R&D platform aimed at identifying new lead programs for potential treatments against malaria, with the potential to expand it to other tropical diseases.
Combining Merck’s R&D expertise and the drug discovery capabilities of the UCT Drug Discovery and Development Centre, H3D, the collaboration will conduct drug discovery research with the goal of developing anti-malarial drug candidates using Merck’s compound library.
“This strategic collaboration shows the commitment of Merck to provide access to medicines for underserved populations, while creating a potential long-term alliance for generating new drugs to treat infectious diseases,” said Beatrice Greco, Head of Malaria and Diagnostics - Global Health R&D, within the biopharmaceutical business of Merck. “UCT’s H3D is a centre of excellence for research and innovation with an already strong track record in malaria drug discovery—we are honoured to be entering into a collaboration with this renowned institution.”
Merck has a dedicated Global Health R&D group working to address key unmet medical needs related to infectious diseases, such as schistosomiasis and malaria, with a focus on pediatric populations in developing countries. Its approach is based on public-private partnerships and collaborations with leading global health institutions and organizations in both developed and developing countries.
“The vision of H3D is to be the leading organisation for integrated drug discovery and development on the African continent. Working with partners like Merck is critical to build up a comprehensive pipeline to tackle malaria and related infectious diseases,” said Professor Kelly Chibale, Director of the H3D centre. “We look forward to working with the Merck team to set up a solid drug discovery platform, with an initial focus on malaria.”
Merck, within the scope of its responsible corporate governance, is committed to improving access to health for underserved populations in low-and middle-income countries. Health, along with environment and culture, represent Merck’s strategic spheres of activities that are part of the company’s Corporate Responsibility Strategy.
Merck has delivered healthcare services in Africa since 1897. With a population rising faster than in any other global market and a growing middle class, the company is increasingly tapping into the continent’s innovative spirit to create health awareness and help respond to unmet medical needs. The Group’s Executive Board is visiting 10 African countries this week to underscore its commitment and the rising importance of the continent. Among other activities, Merck seeks to start local production of the diabetes treatment Glucophage in Algeria, inaugurate an office in Nigeria and start the sale of its Muse cell analyzer to detect HIV.
All Merck Press Releases are distributed by e-mail at the same time they become available on the Merck Website www.merckgroup.com/media. Please go to http://www.merckgroup.com/subscribe to register online, change your selection or discontinue this service.
Merck is a leading science and technology company in healthcare, life science and performance materials. Around 40,000 employees work to further develop technologies that improve and enhance life – from biopharmaceutical therapies to treat cancer or multiple sclerosis, cutting-edge systems for scientific research and production, to liquid crystals for smartphones and LCD televisions. In 2014, Merck generated sales of € 11.3 billion in 66 countries.
Founded in 1668, Merck is the world's oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company. The founding family remains the majority owner of the publicly listed corporate group. Merck, Darmstadt, Germany holds the global rights to the Merck name and brand. The only exceptions are the United States and Canada, where the company operates as EMD Serono, EMD Millipore and EMD Performance Materials.
Record changed: 2016-04-30
More documents for Merck (DE) (Group)
-  Merck KGaA. (2/9/17). "Press Release: Cladribine Tablets Significantly Reduced Brain Atrophy in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (2/1/17). "Press Release: Merck Appoints Anke Schenkel as Head of Group Controlling and Risk Management". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/23/17). "Press Release: Merck Announces Research Collaboration with Domain Therapeutics in Immuno-Oncology [Not intended for UK- or US-based media]". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/23/17). "Press Release: Merck Announces Emerging Biotech Grant Program Winners". Darmstadt....
-  Domain Therapeutics S.A.. (1/23/17). "Press Release: Domain Therapeutics and Merck Enter into a License and Collaboration Agreement for Development of Adenosine Receptor Antagonists in Immuno-oncology". Strasbourg....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/20/17). "Press Release: Merck and Genea Open Centre of Excellence for Fertility [This press release is not intended for U.S. based media]". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/18/17). "Press Release: Merck Launches First Commercial Screening Service to Predict Multiple Sources of DNA Damage". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/10/17). "Press Release: Merck Expands End-to-End Biodevelopment Centers in North America, China and Europe". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/9/17). "Press Release: Merck and MD Anderson Cancer Center Enter Three-Year Strategic Collaboration". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (1/4/17). "Press Release: Merck Acquires BioControl to Strengthen Position in Food Safety Testing". Darmstadt....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)
Please visit also our web portals for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH) and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Germany.com (life sciences in German-speaking Europe) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)