Document › Details
Merck KGaA. (3/10/15). "Press Release: Merck Serono and Illumina Enter Strategic Collaboration for Diagnostics in Oncology". Darmstadt.
Collaboration strengthens Merck Serono’s position as a leader in precision medicine in oncology
Merck Serono, the biopharmaceutical business of Merck, and Illumina, Inc., today announced a collaboration to expand the development of a universal next-generation sequencing-based oncology diagnostic for clinical trials of targeted cancer therapies.
Under the terms of the agreement, Merck Serono and Illlumina will work together to develop assays that detect and simultaneously measure multiple genetic variants in a single tumor sample in a clinical trial setting. Illumina’s successful regulatory track record was an important consideration in the collaboration, as next-generation sequencing platforms cleared by a regulatory agency could accelerate the development of an assay and facilitate the registration of a companion diagnostic
“Our collaboration with Illumina around next-generation sequencing will enable us to perform genome studies at a pace unheard of a few years ago, and could lead to the development of several diagnostics,” said Susan Herbert, Head of Global Business Development at Merck Serono. “This collaboration will strengthen the position of Merck Serono as a global leader in precision medicine in oncology.”
The collaboration will include development of the diagnostic, worldwide regulatory approvals, and global commercialization.
“This agreement is another step forward in realizing the promise of precision medicine,” said Richard Klausner, M.D., Illumina’s Chief Medical Officer. “There is a clear need to expand genetically-based clinical trials as a key approach for developing better treatments for cancer. We are very excited to work with Merck Serono on this endeavor.”
This collaboration complements Merck Serono’s existing partnerships in the area of diagnostics, including Life Technologies and Dako, allowing Merck Serono to choose from a wide variety of technologies in implementing a precision medicine strategy.
About Merck Serono
Merck Serono is the biopharmaceutical business of Merck. With headquarters in Darmstadt, Germany, Merck Serono offers leading brands in 150 countries to help patients with cancer, multiple sclerosis, infertility, endocrine and metabolic disorders as well as cardiovascular diseases. In the United States and Canada, EMD Serono operates as a separately incorporated subsidiary of Merck Serono.
Merck Serono discovers, develops, manufactures and markets prescription medicines of both chemical and biological origin in specialist indications. We have an enduring commitment to deliver novel therapies in our core focus areas of neurology, oncology, immuno-oncology and immunology.
For more information, please visit www.merckserono.com
All Merck Press Releases are distributed by e-mail at the same time they become available on the Merck Website www.merckgroup.com/media. Please go to http://www.merckgroup.com/subscribe to register online, change your selection or discontinue this service.
Merck is a leading company for innovative and top-quality high-tech products in healthcare, life science and performance materials. The company has six businesses – Merck Serono, Consumer Health, Allergopharma, Biosimilars, Merck Millipore and Performance Materials – and generated sales of € 11.3 billion in 2014. Around 39,000 Merck employees work in 66 countries to improve the quality of life for patients, to foster the success of customers and to help meet global challenges. Merck is the world’s oldest pharmaceutical and chemical company – since 1668, the company has stood for innovation, business success and responsible entrepreneurship. Holding an approximately 70% interest, the founding family remains the majority owner of the company to this day. Merck, Darmstadt, Germany holds the global rights to the Merck name and brand. The only exceptions are Canada and the United States, where the company operates as EMD Serono, EMD Millipore and EMD Performance Materials
Record changed: 2016-03-20
More documents for Merck (DE) (Group)
-  Merck KGaA. (3/23/17). "Press Release: FDA Grants Approval for Bavencio (avelumab), the First Immunotherapy Approved for Metastatic Merkel Cell Carcinoma". Darmstadt & New York, NY....
-  Merck KGaA. (3/21/17). "Press Release: Merck Introduces Mobius MyWay Portfolio for Customized Single-Use Assemblies". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (3/21/17). "Press Release: Merck Accelerator Hits New Peak of Applications". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (3/6/17). "Press Release: Merck Advances Lab Water Purification Technology with Milli-Q IQ 7000 System". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (3/2/17). "Press Release: Allergopharma Opens New Biopharmaceutical Production in Reinbek". Reinbek....
-  Merck KGaA. (3/2/17). "Press Release: NICE Expands Positive Recommendation for Erbitux as First-line Treatment for RAS Wild-type mCRC". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (2/28/17). "Press Release: FDA Accepts the Biologics License Application for Avelumab for the Treatment of Metastatic Urothelial Carcinoma for Priority Review". Darmstadt & New York, NY....
-  Merck KGaA. (2/24/17). "Press Release: Merck Receives Positive CHMP Opinion for New Pergoveris Fertility Pen". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (2/9/17). "Press Release: Cladribine Tablets Significantly Reduced Brain Atrophy in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis". Darmstadt....
-  Merck KGaA. (2/1/17). "Press Release: Merck Appoints Anke Schenkel as Head of Group Controlling and Risk Management". Darmstadt....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)
Please visit also our web portals for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH) and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Germany.com (life sciences in German-speaking Europe) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)