Document › Details
Evotec AG. (4/29/15). "Press Release: Facio Partners with Evotec and Initiates FSHD Drug Discovery Programme". Birkenfeld.
|Organisation 2||Facio Therapies (NL)|
|Product||drug screening (service)|
|Product 2||drug discovery services|
|Index term||Facio Therapies–Evotec: drug discovery services, 201504– supply screening service €na to identify drug for muscular wasting disease FSHD|
|Person||Dasberg, David (Facio Therapies 201504 Managing Director)|
|Person 2||Polywka, Mario (Evotec 201201 COO)|
Evotec AG (Frankfurt Stock Exchange: EVT, TecDAX, ISIN: DE0005664809) and Facio Therapies ("Facio") announced today that they have entered into an agreement aimed at the identification of compounds showing activity as a potential treatment to stop the progression of FSHD (Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy), a muscle wasting disease. This agreement marks the start of finding a drug to overcome FSHD.
The project with Facio entails the set-up and execution of an automated high-throughput screen to identify small molecules having a positive effect on SMCHD1 and DUX4 activity in human FSHD-affected muscle cell lines. The compounds that show promising activity in this screen are expected to be available in the first half of 2016. These compounds will require extensive further testing to produce compounds that are suitable for the development of a therapeutic for the treatment of FSHD. All in all, this is a challenging process that may take several years before clinical testing in humans can begin.
"The start of our drug discovery programme is a significant step forward in our pursuit to overcome FSHD", said Facio's Managing Director David Dasberg. "Evotec is a leader in the field of drug discovery and their expertise with muscle tissue will allow us to move forward as fast as possible."
Dr Mario Polywka, Chief Operating Officer of Evotec, commented: "We are very excited about the opportunity to collaborate with Facio on this important disease. With our world-leading expertise in tissue analysis and high-throughput screening we are confident to add real value to the progression of this programme."
No financial details were disclosed.
FSHD (Facioscapulohumeral dystrophy) is a muscle wasting disease, worldwide devastating the lives of over half a million people and those close to them. The loss of muscle strength has a huge impact on daily life. Living with FSHD means living with pain, fatigue and social isolation. Above all, the future becomes uncertain because the course of the disease is unpredictable. About 20% of people with FSHD end up in a wheelchair. Currently, no therapy for FSHD is available other than forms of temporary symptomatic relief.
ABOUT FACIO THERAPIES
Facio Therapies, established in 2014, is a Netherlands-based company with a single focus - to overcome FSHD by developing a causal therapy that restores the repression of toxic DUX4. Facio works with leaders in the field to develop an affordable and accessible causal therapy for as many people with FSHD and in the most expeditious fashion possible. Being by and for people with FSHD, the business approach is to have a positive impact on lives rather than maximize financial gain. Facio's founders - Kees van der Graaf (Netherlands), Bill Moss (Australia), and Neil Camarta (Canada) - are business leaders from the FSHD community. For more information on Facio, please visit www.facio-therapies.com.
FORWARD LOOKING STATEMENTS - Information set forth in this press release contains forward-looking statements, which involve a number of risks and uncertainties. The forward-looking statements contained herein represent the judgement of Evotec as of the date of this report. Such forward-looking statements are neither promises nor guarantees, but are subject to a variety of risks and uncertainties, many of which are beyond our control, and which could cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated in these forward-looking statements. We expressly disclaim any obligation or undertaking to release publicly any updates or revisions to any such statements to reflect any change in our expectations or any change in events, conditions or circumstances on which any such statement is based.
Record changed: 2016-06-07
More documents for Evotec (Group)
-  Evotec AG. (3/23/17). "Press Release: Evotec to Attend Three Upcoming Investor Conferences". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (2/21/17). "Press Release: »Lab282« Awarded First Projects. Oxford University and Evotec's Drug Discovery Partnership Launched Last November to Accelerate Drugs to Market Begins Making Awards". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (2/9/17). "Press Release: Novo A/S Becomes New Long-term Strategic Shareholder in Evotec". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (1/30/17). "Press Release: Evotec to Attend Three Upcoming Investor Conferences". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (1/19/17). "Press Release: Evotec Enters into an Integrated Drug Discovery Collaboration with Asahi Kasei Pharma (Japan)". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (1/17/17). "Press Release: Evotec and MaRS Innovation Establish Strategic Partnership to Launch Fibrocor Therapeutics". Toronto, ON & Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (1/12/17). "Press Release: Haplogen’s Novel Antiviral Target Partnered with Evotec Published in »Nature«". Vienna, Amsterdam & Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (1/9/17). "Press Release: Evotec and Eternygen to Develop Novel Metabolic Disease Therapy". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (12/15/16). "Press Release: Evotec Completes Acquisition of Cyprotex plc". Hamburg....
-  Evotec AG. (12/15/16). "Press Release: Evotec and Celgene Enter into Drug Discovery Collaboration for Neurodegenerative Diseases". Hamburg....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)
Please visit also our web portals for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH) and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Germany.com (life sciences in German-speaking Europe) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)