Document › Details
CRISPR Therapeutics AG. (11/10/14). "Press Release: CRISPR Therapeutics Founding Scientist, Emmanuelle Charpentier Awarded 2015 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences". Basel.
|Organisation||Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH (HZI)|
|Group||Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft (HGF) (Group)|
|Organisation 2||Umeå University|
|Product||CRISPR gene editing technology|
|Product 2||genomic technology|
|Person||Charpentier, Emmanuelle (Helmholtz 201412 Professor at HZI)|
|Person 2||Novak, Rodger (CRISPR Therapeutics 201404 CEO before Sanofi + Nabriva GmbH)|
CRISPR Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company focused on the gene-editing technology CRISPR-Cas9, today announced that Dr Emmanuelle Charpentier, a co-founder and advisor to the Company, has been awarded the 2015 Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences. Dr Charpentier, head of the Regulation in Infection Biology department at the Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung (Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research) in Braunschweig, Germany, was honored for her pioneering work in the development of the CRISPR-Cas9 genome-editing tool.
CRISPR-Cas9 is an innovative gene-editing technology that can be used to edit the genomes of organisms directly with surgical precision. It can be used to specifically target a diseased gene and either delete or correct it. Dr Charpentier co-invented the CRISPR-Cas9 technology while working at Umea University in Sweden.
“CRISPR-Cas9 has the potential to become an incredibly powerful tool for efficient and accurate genome editing. I believe that CRISPR Therapeutics, a company that I helped found and to which I licensed my rights to the CRISPR-Cas9 foundational intellectual property, is well positioned to be in the forefront of clinical development based on this technology,” commented Dr Charpentier.
Dr Rodger Novak, chief executive officer of CRISPR Therapeutics added, “CRISPR-Cas9 is a transformative new technology that will have a significant impact on drug development and will open up the potential to cure serious human genetic diseases. We are thrilled to be working closely with one of the leading CRISPR-Cas9 researchers and co-inventor of the technology and extend our congratulations to Emmanuelle on her well-deserved recognition for the discovery.”
ABOUT THE BREAKTHROUGH PRIZE IN LIFE SCIENCES
The Breakthrough Prize is funded by internet entrepreneurs: Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan of Facebook; Sergey Brin of Google; entrepreneur and venture capitalist Yuri Milner; and Anne Wojcicki, co-founder of 23andMe. The $3 million Prize recognizes researchers, such as Dr Charpentier who are advancing research that extends human life and cures deadly diseases. The Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences Foundation is a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to advancing research, celebrating scientists and generating excitement about the pursuit of science as a career. For more information, please visit http://breakthroughprize.org.
ABOUT CRISPR THERAPEUTICS
CRISPR Therapeutics is a Swiss biopharmaceutical company created to translate CRISPR-Cas9, an innovative gene-editing technology, into transformative medicines for serious human genetic diseases. CRISPR Therapeutics has rights to develop therapeutics based on an exclusive license to the foundational CRISPR-Cas9 intellectual property. The Company’s vision is to cure serious human diseases at the molecular level using CRISPR-Cas9. For more information, please visit www.crisprtx.com.
Record changed: 2016-03-22
More documents for Helmholtz-Gemeinschaft (HGF) (Group)
-  BMBF. (3/1/17). "Pressemitteilung: Drei neue Helmholtz-Institute für Gesundheitsforschung gegründet. Innovationsstandorte für Krebs-, Stoffwechsel- und Infektionsforschung"....
-  Wilex AG. (1/25/17). "Press Release: Subsidiary Heidelberg Pharma Exercises Option on BCMA Antibodies of the Max Delbrück Center and Signs License Agreement". Munich....
-  Affimed N.V.. (12/6/16). "Press Release: Affimed Presents New Preclinical Data on Bi- and Trispecific Immune Cell Engagers at ASH". Heidelberg....
-  Wilex AG. (9/19/16). "Press Release: Wilex AG – Subsidiary Heidelberg Pharma Signs Option Agreement with Max Delbrück Center". Munich....
-  Bayer AG. (9/8/16). "Press Release: Bayer and Forschungszentrum Juelich Agree on Research Collaboration". Monheim....
-  Medigene AG. (7/25/16). "Press Release: Medigene Expands TCR Platform Technology with US Patent for Method for Identification of CD4+ T Cell Antigens". Martinsried....
-  Medigene AG. (6/29/16). "Press Release: Medigene Joins Max Delbrück Centre and Charité for First Clinical TCR Study in Germany". Martinsried....
-  Vaximm AG. (5/4/16). "Press Release: Vaximm Initiates Phase 2a Study in Advanced Colorectal Cancer with Oral T-cell Vaccine VXM01". Basel & Mannheim....
-  Medigene AG. (2/23/16). "Press Release: Medigene Strengthens Its DC Platform with Patent for Treatment of Stem Cell or Bone-marrow Transplanted Patients". Martinsried....
-  Wilex AG. (2/2/16). "Press Release: US Patent Office Granted Patent for Amatoxin Conjugates for Tumour Therapy". Munich....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)
Please visit also our web portals for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH) and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Germany.com (life sciences in German-speaking Europe) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)