Document › Details
Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (1/10/08). "Press Release: Life Science Start-up Caprotec Bioanalytics Receives Additional Venture Capital Funding". Berlin.
Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH receives a total of EUR 6 million ($8.8M) in two rounds of financing from Creathor Venture, IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft, ERP Startfonds and well-known private investors for further development and marketing of the Company’s proprietary CCMS platform technology for analyzing complex protein mixtures. The private investors include Prof. Dr. Heinrich-Maria Schulte, Co-founder of Evotec AG and owner of the Wolbern Bank in Hamburg, Germany.
Caprotec’s CCMS (Capture Compound Mass Spectrometry) technology was developed by Prof. Dr. Hubert Koster, founder of Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH as well as founder of Biosyntech GmbH, the first biotechnology company in Germany, co-founder of US company Milligen/Biosearch and founder of Sequenom (NASDAQ: SQNM).
“With the CCMS platform Prof. Koster has developed a technology that has enormous potential”, says Karlheinz Schmelig, Managing Director at Creathor Venture. “Moreover, as a former founder of several internationally successful biotech companies, Prof. Koster possesses the necessary entrepreneurial know-how.”
“The CCMS technology isolates proteins directly and selectively from a complex cellular environment,” says Prof. Koster, founder and CEO of Caprotec Bioanalytics. “Our platform closes a technological gap in the field of proteome analysis with its ability to be applied both in water-soluble and membrane protein mixtures.”
In the centre of the CCMS technology are small, tri-functional molecules called capture compounds (CCs). They enable a targeted isolation of proteins or protein classes directly from the complex biological sample. After isolation the captured proteins are identified and characterized by mass spectrometry. CCMS technology is complementary to 2D gel electrophoresis and affinity chromatography. The CCs function as chemical probes detecting proteins directly in solution and thereby closing a technological gap. CCMS offers a general solution to investigate the interactions of small molecules (selectivity function) with the proteome. The demand in the protein analysis sector is rapidly increasing. According to experts the expected annual market growth is upwards of 20%. The isolation of certain proteins plays a key role in drug development, enabling the analysis of interactions between drug molecules and proteins. By conducting protein analysis diseases can be diagnosed at an early stage and therapies can be optimized.
About caprotec bioanalytics GmbH
caprotec bioanalytics GmbH is a Berlin-based biotech company focusing on the commercialization of its proprietary Capture Compound Mass Spectrometry (CCMS) technology. The core of the CCMS technology consists of small, tri-functional molecules called capture compounds (CCs). They enable a targeted isolation of proteins directly from complex biological samples. After isolation the captured proteins are identified and characterized by mass spectrometry. Providing a state-of-the-art platform for the isolation and analysis of proteins from complex mixtures, the CCMS technology has enormous potential in proteomics, drug development and the development of biomarkers. The technology is protected by a broad patent portfolio.
caprotec bioanalytics was founded in 2006 by Prof. Dr. Hubert Koster, an acknowledged innovator and entrepreneur in the field of biotech. His track records include the foundation of Biosyntech, the first biotech company in Germany, the co-foundation of Milligen/Biosearch and the foundation of Sequenom Inc. As CEO and
President of Sequenom he was responsible for one of the most successful US IPOs at the NASDAQ. After closing a financing round of EUR 6 million, caprotec bioanalytics started operations in January 2008 in Berlin-Adlershof. The Company is supported by an international scientific advisory board including one Nobel Laureate.
For further information please contact:
caprotec bioanalytics GmbH
Volmer Str. 5,
Tel.: +49 (0)30-6392-3990
Fax: +49 (0)30-6392-3989
About Creathor Venture
Creathor Venture invests in technology-oriented companies and entrepreneurs from the fields of life science, IT, telecommunication, new media, new materials, electronics, nanotechnology and clean tech. Creathor Venture’s management team includes Dr. Gert Kohler, the founder of the former Technologieholding VC GmbH, as well as Ingo Franz and Karlheinz Schmelig. The team has been working in early-stage venture capital for 20 years. During that time more than 200 technology companies have been financed and over 20 IPOs as well as numerous trade sales have been conducted. Extraordinarily successful companies that the partners have managed from the first round of financing to IPO include Micronas (TechDax, SMI), SEZ (SMI), Intershop (Prime Segment),Infovista (NASDAQ, Nouveau Marche Segment) and ITN Nanovation (Primnagement GmbH)
Creathor Venture Management GmbH
Marienbader Platz 1
61348 Bad Homburg
Tel: +49 6172 13 97 20
Fax: +49 6172 13 97 229 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
About IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH
The IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH has been managing the VC Fonds Berlin since November 2004 and the newly founded VC Fonds Technologie Berlin as well as the VC Fonds Kreativwirtschaft Berlin since December 2007. The funds are financed by resources from the Investitionsbank Berlin (IBB) and from the Europaischer Fonds fur regionale Entwicklung (EFRE), administrated by the Federal State of Berlin. Since 1997 the IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH, in consortia with partners has placed over EUR 470 million at the disposal of Berlin technology companies, whereof EUR 66 million were invested by the IBB Beteiligungsggesellschaft mbH as a lead, co-lead or co-investor.
IBB Beteiligungsgesellschaft mbH
Tel.: +49 30 2125 3201
Fax: +49 30 2125 3202
This press release contains forwardlooking statements that involve inherent risks and uncertainties. We have identified certain important factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from those contained in such forwardlooking statements.
Record changed: 2011-11-25
More documents for Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (2/8/12). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics Announces Further Patent Protection of Its CCMS Technology". Berlin....
-  Leibniz-Institut für Molekulare Pharmakologie (FMP). (12/9/11). "Pressemitteilung: Caprotec und FMP gemeinsam gegen den Krebs"....
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (12/8/11). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics Discovers Novel Drug-Protein Interactions of Three Anti-cancer Drugs Using Its CCMS Technology". Berlin & Burlington, MA....
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (12/6/11). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics Announces Collaborative Research Agreement with Bayer CropScience". Berlin & Burlington, MA....
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (7/12/11). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH Appoints Marc Voigt as Managing Director, Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer". Berlin & Burlington, MA....
-  Proteros Biostructures GmbH. (5/10/11). "Press Release: Proteros Announces New Supervisory Board Appointments. Chairman David Lemus and Deputy Chairman Prof. Rainer Metternich". Martinsried....
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (11/9/10). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics Increases Series B Financing in Second Closing to EUR 5 Million". Berlin & Burlington, MA....
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (2/28/11). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics Announces Issuance in Europe of All Core Patents of Its CCMS Technology". Berlin & Burlington, MA....
-  Adlershof (Richter, Wolfgang). (10/10/07). "News: Affordable Medicine. New Developments in Pharmaceutical Research"....
-  Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH. (10/4/10). "Press Release: Caprotec Bioanalytics GmbH Appoints Prof. Dr. Rainer Metternich as Managing Director, Chief Business Officer and Chief Operationg Officer". Berlin & Burlington, MA....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)