Document › Details
Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (11/3/14). "Press Release: Basilea Reports Granting of U.S. Orphan Drug Designation to Isavuconazole for the Treatment of Invasive Candidiasis". Basel.
|Region||United States (USA)|
|Organisation||Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd. (SIX: BSLN)|
|Organisation 2||FDA (US Food and Drug Administration)|
|Group||United States (govt)|
|Product 2||DRUGS, ORPHAN|
|Person||Kaufhold, Achim (Basilea 201211 CMO before Affitech A/S + Pharmexa + Chiron + Berna Biotech + GSK)|
|Person 2||Schröder, Peer Nils (Basilea 201109 Head Public Relations + Corporate Communications)|
Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd. (SIX: BSLN) reports today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has granted orphan drug designation to isavuconazole for the treatment of invasive candidiasis/candidemia, a potentially life-threatening infection caused by Candida yeasts. Isavuconazole has previously been granted orphan drug status in the European Union and the U.S. for the treatment of invasive aspergillosis and mucormycosis.
An FDA orphan drug designation provides several benefits to the sponsor including a seven-year period of market exclusivity in the U.S., should the FDA grant orphan drug exclusivity at approval.
Prof. Achim Kaufhold, Basilea's Chief Medical Officer, said: "Invasive candidiasis is a serious bloodstream infection that is associated with high morbidity and mortality. The FDA's grant of orphan drug designation is a further milestone in the development of isavuconazole and underscores the growing need for additional drugs to treat invasive candidiasis."
Previously, the FDA also designated isavuconazole as a Qualified Infectious Disease Product (QIDP) for the treatment of invasive aspergillosis, mucormycosis and candidiasis under the Generating Antibiotic Incentives Now (GAIN) Act. QIDP status provides priority review and a five-year extension of market exclusivity if the drug receives approval in the U.S.
Isavuconazole is currently under regulatory review by the U.S. FDA and the European Medicines Agency (EMA) for the treatment of invasive aspergillosis and mucormycosis in adults. In accordance with the FDA Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA), the FDA designated the date of March 8, 2015 for the completion of the U.S. New Drug Application review. The regulatory review of the European Marketing Authorization Application is anticipated to be completed by the fourth quarter of 2015.
About invasive candidiasis
Infections by Candida yeasts are serious invasive fungal infections and are associated with high morbidity and mortality. Estimates of the attributable mortality of Candida bloodstream infections (candidemia) range from 15% to 49%.1, 2, 3
Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd. is headquartered in Basel, Switzerland and listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange (SIX: BSLN). Through the integrated research, development and commercial operations of its Swiss subsidiary Basilea Pharmaceutica International Ltd., the company develops and commercializes innovative pharmaceutical products in the therapeutic areas of bacterial infections, fungal infections and oncology, targeting the medical challenge of rising resistance and non-response to current treatment options.
Isavuconazole (active moiety of the prodrug isavuconazonium sulfate) is an investigational once-daily intravenous and oral broad-spectrum antifungal for the potential treatment of life-threatening invasive fungal infections which predominantly occur in immunocompromised patients such as cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
Isavuconazole for the treatment of candidiasis is currently explored in the phase 3 study ACTIVE, which evaluates the safety and efficacy of intravenously (i.v.) and orally administered isavuconazole versus i.v. caspofungin followed by oral voriconazole in the treatment of invasive Candida infections. Enrolment into the ACTIVE study is anticipated to be completed by early 2015.
Information regarding isavuconazole clinical studies is available at www.clinicaltrials.gov.
Isavuconazole is being co-developed with Astellas Pharma Inc. Basilea holds full rights to isavuconazole in markets outside of the U.S. and Canada where Astellas is the exclusive license holder.
This communication expressly or implicitly contains certain forward-looking statements concerning Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd. and its business. Such statements involve certain known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors, which could cause the actual results, financial condition, performance or achievements of Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd. to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd. is providing this communication as of this date and does not undertake to update any forward-looking statements contained herein as a result of new information, future events or otherwise.
For further information, please contact:
Peer Nils Schröder, PhD
Head Public Relations &
+41 61 606 1102
Barbara Zink, PhD, MBA
Head Corporate Development
+41 61 606 1233
This press release can be downloaded from www.basilea.com.
1 J. Morgan et al. Excess mortality, hospital stay, and cost due to candidemia: a case-control study using data from population-based candidemia surveillance. Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2005 (26), 540-547
2 T. E. Zaoutis et al. The epidemiology and attributable outcomes of candidemia in adults and children hospitalized in the United States: a propensity analysis. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2005 (41), 1232-1239
3 O. Gudlaugsson et al. Attributable mortality of nosocomial candidemia, revisited. Clinical Infectious Diseases 2003 (37), 1172-1177
Record changed: 2016-06-07
More documents for Basilea (Group)
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (12/9/15). "Press Release: Basilea Successfully Places CHF 200 Million Senior Convertible Bonds [Not for United States of America, Canada, Australia or Japan]". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (10/16/15). "Press Release: Basilea Announces that European Commission Approves Isavuconazole (Cresemba) as a Treatment for Invasive Aspergillosis and Mucormycosis in the European Union". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (10/16/15). "Press Release: Basilea Announces Filing of Registration Statement for a Proposed Offering in the United States. Basilea Seeks Access to U.S. Public Equity market". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (10/15/15). "Press Release: Basilea Signs Exclusive Distribution Agreement for Zevtera (ceftobiprole medocaril) in the Middle East and North Africa with Hikma Pharmaceuticals LLC". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (9/7/15). "Press Release: Basilea Announces Development of Inhaled Dosage Form of its Gram-negative Antibiotic BAL30072 as Part of European iABC Program". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (8/28/15). "Press Release: Basilea's Chief Technology Officer Dr. Ingrid Heinze-Krauss to Retire and Dr. Günter Ditzinger Named as Successor". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (8/14/15). "Press Release: Basilea Reports 2015 Half-year Results – Major Milestones Achieved for Cresemba and Zevtera". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (4/1/15). "Press Release: Basilea In-licenses Targeted Cancer Therapy". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (3/6/15). "Press Release: Basilea Reports U.S. FDA Approval of Isavuconazole for the Treatment of Invasive Aspergillosis and Invasive Mucormycosis ". Basel....
-  Basilea Pharmaceutica Ltd.. (2/17/15). "Press Release: Basilea Reports Solid 2014 Full-year Results, Preparing the Ground for Commercialization of Zevtera in Europe". Basel....
To subscribe to our free, monthly newsletter for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH), please send an e-mail to email@example.com and simply fill the subject line with the word »LSG newsletter«
To get even more information, please take a look at our [gs] professional services offering and read the gene-sensor Product Flyer [PDF file]
Please visit also our web portals for the European life sciences and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Europe.com (European life sciences) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)
Please visit also our web portals for the life sciences in German-speaking Europe (DE, AT & CH) and the worldwide mass spectrometry industry at Life-Sciences-Germany.com (life sciences in German-speaking Europe) and Mass-Spec-Capital.com (worldwide mass spectrometry)